Saturday, July 19, 2014
Life is all about momentum. It's just the getting started part that can sometimes be a hurdle. Once you start ... then momentum propels you forward with ease. Once you figure this out a lot of things become easier.
Just one example was last night was our last night to have a date night before we picked up Olivia from camp. We could have picked something local and easy to get to. However we were like look let's get in the car and drive to DC. We live close to such a fun city lets just get moving! So we went! And to top off the night we ended the evening at the Lincoln Memorial. What a beautiful site to see at night!
See ... It's just the starting part that's difficult .... so what are you waiting for?
Posted by Me at 7/19/2014
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
I miss blogging ... life just gets in the way. I want to get back to posting more often because this is my happy place ... besides I want to record our life so I have something to show when I print out my blog entries at the end of each year. I guess I have a lot of posting to catch up. I would love to come up with a weekly theme for blog posts ... like Monday Musings, or Wordless Wednesdays (just pics). I'll come up with something. In the meantime here's a picture of Rosie and I. I've been taking Rosie on daily walks now that the weather is warmer and I work for home it's a nice break during lunch.
Posted by Me at 6/25/2014
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
I recently attended a talk by Momastary founder Glennon Melton. I knew of the website and heard of her book, Carry On Warrior. The Power of Embracing Your messy Beautiful Life, before but never read her blog nor her book. Let me tell you I was missing out on something big and worthwhile! I enjoyed her talk so much and recently just finished the book. Hands down, one of the best books I ever read - so inspiring and so many nuggets of truth and meaning in it.
Some of my take-a-ways are:
Some of my take-a-ways are:
- Amazing things happen when women stop and 'fill-up' together.
- Forced brokenness - rock bottom is the only trueful place to start.
- The only think you will really regret in your life is unkindness.
- Service is the only thing that gets you out of your own head.
- Truth telling is the key that unlocks people and you can meet them for the first time
- The most personal stuff is always the most universal
- No need to have a 5 year plan, just do the next right thing. If you keep doing this life turns out ok. It's like driving with headlights, you only can see just a few feet in front of you ... but it can take you all the way home that way.
- My job as a parent is not to protect my child from pain/hurt ... but to help them endure the burn.
- The only meaningful thing we can offer one another is love. Not advice, not questions about our choices, not suggestions for the future, just love.
Posted by Me at 5/14/2014
Wednesday, May 7, 2014
Olivia and I are very excited to introduce everyone to our new YouTube Channel - called OliveYouToo. We wanted to create a channel that could be for both Mothers and Daughters. A fun, safe, interactive forum for all things that impact middle school girls and moms alike! We have lots of ideas for future videos, but would love to also hear your suggestions. So grab a cup of coffee or some milk ... and watch our first video called, "How to Keep A Life Long Friend". Hope you enjoy and please subscribe. Thanks all!
Posted by Me at 5/07/2014
Sunday, May 4, 2014
Friday, April 18, 2014
Today we decided to just spend the day around our hotel and relax in the beach.
It was nice to have a leisure filled day with no real plans or anywhere we had to be.
- rode our bikes to a local bakery. Olivia had a fruit tart and dan raved about the almond croissants
- did a little browsing in the shops
- borrowed a Potcake puppy for a few hours
- relaxed in the beach reading three different books
- swam in ocean and pool
- dinner at Big AL's burgers
- ,ill shakes for desert
Posted by Me at 4/18/2014
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
We have come to the realization that we are the happiest when we are on something moving! Be it plane train car bike horse dolphin Vespa - LOL. So today we decided to rent a Vespa for the day and explore the island. It was so much fun. It was so nice to be able to just go and explore and find different beaches. Dan was. Little nervous about me riding my own because in the past I always just rode in the back of his however this time Olivia took that space. So I got my own. I actually did just fine and got the hang of it pretty quickly. We had a blast!!
Highlights of the day:
- tennis in the morning while waiting for our Vespa's to arrive
- Vespa lessons in the parking lot with dan being uber protective of me. Cute but ok honey I am not 12!
- the warm breeze cooling us off while riding and exploring the island
- lusting over the absolutely stunning houses or shall I say mansions. One sat on it's very own island! Need to google what celebrities live on Turks
- breathtaking views of electric blue water
- first stop was to ocean Point/ Taylor Bay on Chalk Sound was so incredible!! You could walk for a mile and only be knee deep in the clearest water I have ever seen. It was like a giant bath tub or a kindle pool. It was amazing.
- lunch at Bugaloos. Such ambience. Right in the beach. View perfect. Reggae singer singing ganja is good - lol. They were cutting out conch down at the beach and frying it up to serve. Dan tried a raw one and said it tasted like salty gummy worm yuck! I had the best coconut shrimp ever. Olivia had a big fancy virgin strawberry danqaurie. Very nice lunch!!!
- next beach stop was Smith Reef for some snorkeling. Expansive coral reef. Very cool. Olivia has no fear she just does what she needs to do as the waters were a bit choppy but she said she liked it that way. Like a roller coaster. Made my stomach have butterfly's worrying about her but she can definitely hold her own!
- back to the hotel to clean up for dinner
- we rode our Vespa's to dinner at Hemingways. Dan was getting a kick of seeing me all dressed up in my sun dress riding a scooter!
- watched the sun set while eating dinner. Had to argue a bit to get a table in the deck with a view of the ocean. Although the people here are accommodating I wouldn't call them friendly or nice. They are more neutral. Kind of like they had to put up with us - which probably us the case. Lol
- a Vespa ride at night trying to find a gas station a little scary but we survived. Thank God.
Posted by Me at 4/16/2014